Santo Rosario was razed to the ground during the Philippine–American War. In the early American military occupation of Santo Rosario, a cavalry officer, Captain Daniel H. Boughton, came upon the big spring at the foot of Tombol Hill. He decided to relocate the town west of the spring, where Rosario’s population center is now.
Local historians were not unanimous as the exact date of the founding of this town. Certainly it was among those organized by the ecclesiastical authorities after the creation of Batangas as a province in 1581. It is generally believed to have come to the existence in 1687 while still located along the coast of Lobo during the term of Don Nicolas Morales as gobernadorcillo. Originally, Rosario comprised the whole parts of the municipalities of Lobo, Taysan, Ibaan, San Juan de Bolbok and the entire municipality of Padre Garcia.
Rosario, officially the Municipality of Rosario is a 1st class municipality in the province of Batangas, Philippines. According to the 2020 census, it has a population of 128,352 people. Rosario is considered as among the interior municipalities of the Batangas Bay Region comprising eleven municipalities and two cities whose catchment areas drain into the Batangas Bay. The town is also knows as “The Rice Granary of Batangas.
Accounts show that the origin of Rosario was a Christian settlement along the coast of Lobo. The settlement became prey to the pirate raids during the Moro wars of the 18th century.
The Moro or pirate raids forced the inhabitants of the settlement to the safety of the ravine and forest on the north-west bank of Kansahayan River (now the Municipality of Taysan). Here the settlement was relocated. However, at the height of the Moro Wars in the second half of the 18th century, the vicious Moro raids reached Kansahayan. In one of their forays the Parish Priest is said to be among those slain.
Alupay Maalas‑As Namuco Salao
Antipolo Mabato Namunga San Carlos
Bagong Pook Mabunga Natu San Ignacio
Balibago Macalamcam A Nasi San Isidro
Bayawang Macalamcam B Palakpak San Jose
Baybayin Malaya Pinagsibaan San Roque
Bulihan Maligaya Barangay A (Poblacion) Santa Cruz
Cahigam Marilag Barangay C (Poblacion) Timbugan
Calantas Masaya Barangay D (Poblacion) Tiquiwan
Colongan Matamis Barangay E (Poblacion) Leviste (Tubahan)
Itlugan Mavalor Putingkahoy
Lumbanga Mayuro Quilib Tulos
The inhabitants decided to leave Kansahayan. They headed farther north holding a novena and praying the rosary in the process of their flight. On the 9th night of the novena, the fleeing inhabitants reached the river bank of Tubig ng Bayan (a river originating from Lipa) in now the town of Padre Garcia. Here they finally settled. Living in peace and prosperity, the grateful town’s people erected a stone church south of the river bank in honor of their benefactress, the Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Parish. The town was named Santo Rosario.